Martin Insurance Brokers (‘MIB) is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy and would like you to feel safe when giving your details. To provide you with relevant information and respond to your requests, we sometimes request that you provide us with information about yourself.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully as it will inform you of how we collect, use and disclose personal data we gather from you. Our activities are compliant with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’) and any other Data Protection legislation/Acts passed as a result of the GDPR.
MIB follow these principles relating to processing of personal data:
- We process personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- We collect personal data for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes only.
- We only process personal data that is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes of processing personal data.
- We keep personal data accurate and, where necessary, up to date. MIB take every reasonable step to ensure that inaccurate personal data is erased or rectified without delay.
- We do not keep personal data for longer than is necessary for the purposes of processing personal data.
- We process personal data in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
What information we gather and why
In general, you may visit this website without identifying yourself or revealing any personal data. MIB collects domain information from your visit to customise and improve your experience on our website.
This website may collect certain information from your visit, including the date and time of your access, the pages you have accessed, the name of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the Internet Protocol (IP) address by which you are accessing the Internet, and the Internet address from which you linked to our site, if applicable. We use this information to better understand how our website is being used so that we can improve its performance.
Some portions of this website, however, may request that you give us information about yourself, from which we are able to identify you: for example, our Contact Us form or Online Quote service.
In this case, we process your personal data in order to provide insurance quotation and placement service, i.e. processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract. We process your personal data to:
- introduce, propose or carry out other work preparatory to the conclusion of contracts of insurance
- carry out administration of contracts of insurance at inception, mid-term, renewal and throughout the term of the policy
- assist in the event of a claim
- comply with regulatory, industry and tax legislation
- carry out internal reporting.
Such personal data may include:
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Date of birth
- Convictions, claims, penalty points, etc.
- Risk details, e.g. driving licence, NCT, vehicle information, property, turnover/fee income, etc.
- Banking details for premium credit facility
- Medical history.
It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed, information is only shared within the European Economic Area (EEA). Any such transfers are made in full compliance with all aspects of data protection.
Who we share or seek information from
We may share your personal data with or seek information from a number of external parties, such as:
- Insurers and third party underwriters that we obtain quotations from
- Insurance software providers
- Premium financing companies for the purposes of arranging a premium credit facility for you
- Parties acting on your behalf, e.g. insurance intermediary, insurer, loss assessor, solicitor, executor, garage, repairer, etc.
- Parties acting on the insurer’s behalf, e.g. loss adjusters, external investigators, medical practitioners, solicitors, repairers, etc.
- Surveyors, advisors and consultants for the purposes of surveying or assessing a risk
- The Central Bank of Ireland, the Financial Services & Pensions Ombudsman or any equivalent supervisory or regulatory body
- The Gardaí, Revenue Commissioners or any other persons authorised by law to access records
- Computer network maintenance companies.
Our retention periods for your data are as follows: